Frequently Asked Questions and Answers

Who can attend LTEC?

Students who are living in the Blue Springs School district, aged 3-21, who qualify based upon screening and evaluation may receive services through LTEC.

What are the services provided at LTEC?

Cub Care Learning Center is a Missouri Licensed and Accredited preschool for infants through pre-kindergarten.  
Liggett Trail is home to several BSSD programs. 
  • The Early Childhood Special Education Preschool Program is designed for children aged 3-5 (until they are age eligible for kindergarten), who qualify based upon an identification process and show significant developmental delays. 
  • The Multi-Disabled Program is home for students with several handicaps, who need more care than our elementary, middle or high schools can provide. 
  • We also provide services to children at their local preschools or in their home.  Children who qualify may receive related services such as: speech, language, occupational therapy, physical therapy, vision services, and hearing impaired services.
  • Cub Care, a recent addition to LTEC as of January 2021,  is a MO licensed and accredited preschool that has been a part of BSSD since 2003.

If my child is eligible for services at LTEC, what do I need for enrollment?

You will need your child's birth certificate, parent/guardian photo ID, two forms of residency verification, and child immunization records.  Please visit The BSSD Home Page and select either New or Returning Student Enrollment.  

Will transportation be provided?

Yes, transportation is provided within the Blue Springs School District boundaries. Transportation will provide service to the home or daycare. Parent pick up and drop off are also welcomed options.

How many students are in a classroom?

A maximum of 10 students per classroom. A classroom will consist of one ECSE certified teacher and a Para-Professional.


 Special Services FAQ

Below is a list of common questions regarding Special Services, and answers from the district. Please know we will continue to update and clarify these concerns as more information becomes available. Some questions cannot be answered at this time as further planning and direction from state and local agencies is necessary. We will continue to do our best to communicate the most current and update information as it becomes available.

Can students with IEPs, 504 plans, or English Language Learners participate in BSSD Distance Learning?

Yes, students with IEPS or 504 plans can participate in either BSSD Distance Learning or In-Person School.

How will the individualized Education process work for distance learning?

An IEP amendment or IEP meeting will be held to determine goals, accommodations/modifications, accessibility, and services needed through distance learning. Each student will be assigned a special education case manager, and service providers will be assigned based upon the IEP needs of the student. A copy of the IEP will be provided to teachers who are teaching through distance learning.

How will 504 plans be implemented through distance learning?

A 504 plan meeting will be held to determine accommodations/modifications, accessibility, and services needed through distance learning. A copy of the 504 plan will be provided teachers who are teaching through distance learning for implementation.

If a student has been participating in a modified curriculum based upon the students IEP, will his/her curriculum continue to be modified for distance learning?

Yes, students who qualify for a modified curriculum will continue to receive a modified curriculum while participating in distance learning.

Will Adapted Physical Education (APE) courses be offered?

Yes, students who participate in APE will engage in physical activities that allow for social distancing.

Will IEP programs focusing upon community-based instruction and working in the community continue to be offered?

The Special Services department is considering alternatives for meeting student transition needs that would not include going into the community where safety precautions of the general public cannot be guaranteed.

How will related services (i.e., speech, language, occupational therapy, physical therapy, counseling, etc.) be provided to qualifying students who choose distance learning?

A student’s IEP team or 504 team (which includes parents) will determine if the student will participate in teletherapy, computer activities, or pen/paper activities depending upon a student’s unique needs.

Please call the school at 816-874-3860 or use the email icon on the top right hand side of the page to contact us regarding your child’s IEP and 504 needs.

Thank you!